Once you hit 40, it is more important to care for your hair as it is the time when some symptoms of aging hair, like dryness, thinning, and frizz may occur. In this case, you may seek the aid of hair serum, a styling product capable of coating your hair surface.
Basically, this hair styling product is silicone-based and it sits on top of your hair strands. It is different from hair oil since it is incapable of penetrating your hair cuticles or altering hair structure. What it does, instead, is keep your hair smooth and improve curls.
You can find different variations for the hair serum – with each one supporting a different goal for your hair. Depending on the formula of your chosen hair serum, it may lessen frizz, straighten hair, and boost shine. There are also hair serum formulas capable of protecting your hair against different forms of damage.
What the Hair Serum Can Do for Your Aging Hair?
Here are just a few of the major benefits of hair serums that may be of help in maintaining the healthy and nourished look of your hair despite aging:
- Controls frizz – Weak and damaged hair will look frizzy and dry. With the silicone content in hair serum, you may be able to deal with such problems. It can add weight to your hair and coat it in such a way that you can lock in its natural curls.
- Improves smoothness and shine – This product does this function by dealing with frizz and making your strands look sleek and polished through the silicone coating. You will also notice that your hair looks glossier. Moreover, you can find hair serums capable of reflecting light when applied to the hair, thereby boosting overall shine.
- Detangles hair – The fact that the serum helps in keeping your hair smooth ensures that it will be less prone to tangling or knotting. It has this kind of detangling effect, which is also good as it gives you an easier time managing, combing, and styling your hair efficiently.
- Nourishes dry hair – Aside from feeling rough, dry and parched hair also looks lifeless and dull. A quality serum containing nourishing ingredients will be of help in hydrating your hair. It can also camouflage signs of damage and dryness, like split ends, frizz, and breakage.
- Protects your hair from humidity – The right hair serum may be what you need to shield your strands and follicles from harsh environmental elements, such as artificial heat and humidity. This is all the more important for aging hair that is already more prone to damage.
- Lessens damage – If you color or over-style your hair using hot tools often, there is a high chance that it will eventually show signs of damage. Applying a hair serum will be an effective way to fight this damage. It can restore the moisture of your strands, especially once they start losing natural oils. The product also seals hair cuticles disrupted by damage.
Is It Safe to Use Hair Serum Daily?
The answer is yes. Most hair serums are formulated in such a way that they are safe for daily use. They are generally safe as they do not leave any coating. It is also easy to wash the product. However, you still have to make sure that you pick the most suitable hair serum for your case. You have to consider the type of hair you have and your desired results.
Note that the key to getting safe results from the hair serum is to pick a product formulated for your specific hair concern or type. Here’s a quick guide to making your choice:
- To improve straightness, pick a hair serum with smoothing properties – If your hair is wavy or curly, prompting the daily or regular use of a flat iron, choose a heat protectant serum. This helps in minimizing the damage that the flat iron may cause.
- To boost curls, choose a lightweight hair serum – Avoid excessively thick hair serums as they may only weigh down your curls. The product should have a hydrating formula, which helps minimize breakage and maintain your curls’ natural bounce.
- To minimize frizz, pick a hair serum that can hydrate your hair and keep it protected from humidity – This should help prevent humidity and dry air from causing frizz and other damage.
- To deal with damaged hair, look for a hair serum formulated to protect your hair from excessive sun and heat exposure – It should be made to repair hair strands that lack strength and vitality because of damage. You will know that the product is for such purpose if it has the repairing, conditioning, or fortifying hair serum label.
Ensure that you also follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Check the ingredients on the label, too. Each ingredient should be safe for use on aging hair so you can prevent any unwanted and harmful side effects on your locks.
In general, you may apply it every day to freshly washed but damp and clean hair. Use it before the application of any other hair and styling products. Also, take note that a few drops of the serum can already go a long way.
In other words, you should avoid applying too much as it may only produce unwanted results, like limp and greasy hair. As a guide, use only a pea-sized amount if you have short hair. If you have long and full hair, around 2 to 3 drops of the serum would be enough.
During the application, start from the middle to the ends of your hair. Once you have applied it, use a wide-tooth comb to ensure that you get to distribute the serum evenly to your hair. By doing all these tips, you can achieve the best and safest results from your daily use of the right hair serum.